The end has come for our reading, The Story About Ping!
We needed to celebrate and the boy's dad loves Chinese food! So we had a special family dinner night!
- Chicken Fried Rice
- Egg Rolls: Which I did not make, only so much time in a day!
- Fortune Cookies & Rice Candies for Dessert
- Laughter & Fun!
Dad and the boys cheesing for the camera, and one boy poking his eye out.
We made paper lanterns and a chinese dragon and displayed our ducks on the table.
Recipe for Chicken Fried Rice
- 1 1/2 cups uncooked long-grain white rice (I like to use brown rice)
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 5 Tbsp canola oil, divided
- 2 large eggs, beaten
- 2 boneless, skinless chicken breasts cut into bite size pieces
- 4small carrots peeled and diced
- 1 1/2 cups broccoli cut into small pieces
- salt & pepper
- 3/4 cup thinly sliced green onions
- 1/3 cup soy sauce (I use reduced sodium)
- 1 Tsp toasted sesame oil ( I sometimes don't use this)
Combine 2 2/3 cups water, rice and salt in a rice cooker or on stove and follow package directions. Transfer the cooked rice to a baking sheet to cool and put in refrigerator until ready to use.
Heat 1 Tbsp of canola oil in large wok or pan over med-high heat. Add eggs and stir until just cooked. Remove eggs to plate and set aside.
Heat 1 Tbsp of oil in wok, season chicken with salt & pepper and cook until done. Remove chicken to plate. Heat remaining 3 Tbsp of oil.
Add carrots and broccoli to the wok, and cook for 2 mins. Add cold rice, and cook for 2 mins, Stir in eggs, chicken, and 3/4 of green onions. Add soy sauce and sesame oil and continue to stir fry for 1 min. Serve and Enjoy!
This makes a lot we always have leftovers. But if you have big eaters it may serve 4.